Thursday, December 6, 2012

Asterios Polyp


I read nearly all of David Mazzucchelli's Asterios Polyp.  This was my first graphic novel, or at least the farthest I have ever read into a graphic novel.  My roommate is extremely into comics, graphic novels, and anime and has thus been showing me certain indie related paraphernalia throughout the years.  For whatever reason comics had never excited me at any time growing up and still today do not interest me much.  I read Asterios Polyp because it was of course assigned and can say I actually enjoyed it.  I enjoyed the non-linear narrative in Mazzucchelli’s writing and after watching Annie Hall recently in my film class, find certain narrative structure to be very similar.  I thought the colors were interesting as well as certain drawing techniques used to communicate different ideas or personalities.  I think for example drawing himself angularly and the woman curved is one just illustrating their gender.  I also thought the blueprint style renderings and angular drawings reference his life as an architect.  I was surprised I was able to read into it as far as I did and also surprised I was able to continue reading.  In reading Asterios Polyp I have become more open to the medium and style of comic and graphic storytelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment